Travelling light always has a lot of advantages. A lighter bag makes you move around easier. You won’t have to pay for excess baggage fees. It’s easier to track your belongings. And the list goes on. So how do we keep it light? The first thing to remember when packing light for a travel is to always put together the essentials. Here are some tips to help you:
- Make a list. Making a list may seem to be a simple, no-brainer thing to do. But writing the items you will bring helps you with prioritization. It gives you time to think and lets you differentiate between what you want to bring versus what you really need to bring. It gives you peace of mind when packing. You don’t get to bring unnecessary things out of fear that you forgot something.
- Mix and match. Since you want to pack less clothes as much as possible, you must learn the art of mixing and matching your clothes. A pair of pants may be paired with 2 different shirts, for example. You must be selective. This is a lot easier to do when you choose clothes with neutral colors.
- Roll it! Rolling your clothes is a big space saver and may limit the number of bags you will bring. Notice how folded clothes easily take up space on your bag? It is easier to squeeze in rolled garments inside your bag compared to the folded ones.
- Heavy ones first, light last. It is always easier to squeeze in smaller, lighter items in an almost full bag rather than the bulky ones. Putting in bulky and heavier items first will also allow you to distribute the weight of your things in the bag evenly.
- Pack in advance. It is always wise to pack your things in advance. Packing in a hurry is stressful so don’t wait until the day before you leave. You can start packing 2-3 days before your trip. This way, you can re-assess the items in your packing list.